Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: vintage pattern help

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jschalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2006
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In the book "Welcome to Molly's World" there is a picture of a dress made from a print table cloth. The book said that this was done to conserve and re-use fabric. I am wondering if anyone might know where I would find more information/pattern to do this for my Molly. Thanks in advance.

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 02, 2006 11:20 AM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Bean Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    465
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Are you looking for a specific pattern?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Kenshinchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Any sort of '40s-style pattern would work. Some people here have posted links to those kind of patterns, though I'm no expert so I don't have any offhand.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Gomunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2006
    Posts
    416
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here is a link I found that might be helpful:

    18" cloth doll with dress form 1942: Stuffed Rag Doll 1/3 down the page

    I hope this helps.


    -Jenifer

  5. #5
    Inactive Member muppetquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2006
    Posts
    341
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not sure if this is what you are looking for but here goes:

    I'm looking at the picture in the book. I have no idea where you'd find a pattern for turning a tablecloth into a dress but the dress in the book would be easy to copy. The trickiest part would be finding a good table cloth.

    That is a simple A line dress that buttons up the front. Slightly gathered where the bodice and skirt meet the waist band. (You might need to add a couple inches to the bodice to allow for that gathering if you can't find a pattern that has it.) If you can't find a current pattern for that (I'd be sure to check bathrobes as well as dresses as you might find a lightweight robe pattern that is very similar and could just be shortened) I know you could find a 1970s or early 80s pattern for that style. (Google vintage patterns-- you'll get tons of sites) If all else fails, a shirt pattern and button up the front A line skirt (with a waist band!) pattern could be combined to create this look. If you went that route you might want to make up a sample out of cheap muslin to make sure you work out any kinks and get everything to line up right before you cut the tablecloth.

    What they did with that dress is take a tablecloth with a border print. The pinky/peach stripe would have been at the hem of the tablecloth. The skirt fronts were cut from two corners of the tablecloth so the edge design (in this case the stripe) goes around the hem of the skirt and up the center fronts along the button line. The waist band and dress fronts were carefully cut so the stripe would continue and match up just right (this could be tricky-- just pay attention to the markings on the pattern so you line it up right). The collar was cut almost entirely out of the stripe. The Sleeves and (I imagine) the skirt backs were cut so the stripe is at the bottom of them as well. A table cloth has a lot of fabric in it so this shouldn't be too hard.

    If you are interested in patterns designed to conserve fabric, google patterns from the 40s or try the Folkwear Glamour Girl Dress or Sporty Forties Dress and Sweater patterns. I've made the Glamour Girl dress and it uses remarkably little fabric-- I was sure I couldn't possibly get the whole dress cut out of so little but it worked-- with barely a scrap leftover. Folkwear Patterns

    Hope some of that helps!

    Duh! How did I miss that you want to do this for your doll and not for you??? [img]redface.gif[/img]

    For Molly-- I would look for a fabric with a border print the right size. You might have more luck looking in upholstery fabrics.

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 17, 2006 11:07 PM: Message edited by: MuppetQuilter ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member smwoodsie2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8th, 2006
    Posts
    249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Did you ever think of making a pillowcase dress out of a pillowcase from goodwill. They are really easy to make, goggle pillowcase dress. Good Luck with whatever you decide!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member jschalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2006
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you all so much for your help and ideas. I am sure Molly will have a new dress soon. Maybe I will be able to post pictures by then.

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 02, 2006 11:22 AM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member marilyn2222's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2005
    Posts
    225
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Gomunk:
    Here is a link I found that might be helpful:

    18" cloth doll with dress form 1942: Stuffed Rag Doll 1/3 down the page

    I hope this helps.


    -Jenifer
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, thanks for this website. I love it. I shared it with my family who also likes to make cloth dolls and clothes. I've never seen anything as extensive as that. If you know of anymore websites like it, please let me know.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member bethmn's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2005
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dress pattern idea.
    When I made Molly's Girl Scout dress
    (in my avatar)
    I used the pattern for the top of her pjs and the skirt pattern in the Molly pattern packet.
    Took a bit of altering but worked well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •